Sunday, August 30, 2009

To Wig or Not to Wig

I just had my 2nd chemo two days ago. Besides a little more obvious stomach upset, I have not felt much difference from last treatment so far except my hair is almost gone.

My hair loss started a little more than a week ago. Although I have had my hair cut to a dramatic short length last Saturday, it just could not buck the trend. I have been losing my hair
faster than a tree shedding its leaves in Autumn, which left me with only two options - to use a scarf or a wig. The idea of wearing a wig didn't seem very appealing to me after scanning quite some websites. Most of the wigs just look very awful and fake:-(

Meanwhile, the wig my mom bought for me is on its way to my place - a straight hair style! As far as I remember, I have always been struggling with my curly and troublesome hair, from being teased by classmates as 'barbarian' at kindergarten to had
my mom questioned by every new teacher I had during my high school years for perming my hair (yes, the high school I went to is very strict and prude: no makeup, no jewelry, no perm hair, no dating your school mates:-), etc.) All these happened because I don't have the straight and fine Asian hair like everyone else, which also makes me curious about the origin of some of my ancestors. Could they be the nomadic pastoral people of Huns who had invaded China and migrated out of the Mongolia region in the 1st century AD., or the Persian merchants came from the Silk Road and settled down in my hometown?

I guess
my genealogy quest can wait. In the meantime, as it's always said, 'When God closes a door, somewhere he opens a window.' My hair loss might just give me an opportunity to try out different hairstyles, such as a straight and fine Bob hair do I have been always dreaming of:-) I can't wait for Jeffrey, my best friend from high school, to come to town on the upcoming Labor Day weekend and the wigs hunting adventure we have planned for.

Let's hope I could find a perfect one without breaking the bank:-)

1 comment: